Chocolate Fudge Cake
the ultimate chocolate cake
- Dry ingredients: 3/4 cup maida, 3/8 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, salt to taste
- Wet ingredients: 3/4 cup caster sugar, 3/8 cup oil, 1/2 cup curd(beaten), 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- For Buttermilk: 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 tsp vinegar or lime juice
- For Frosting: 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup icing sugar, 3/4 cup cocoa powder, 1 cup melted dark chocolate, 1/2 cup warm cream
- Gently mix milk & vinegar & keep aside. This will be used as buttermilk later.
- Sift all dry ingredients in a bowl & keep aside.
- Preheat your oven at 180 degree celsius in parallel.
- For wet ingredients, take caster sugar & oil & whisk well.
- Take curd, vanilla extract & mix well.
- Now, add dry ingredients in batches alternate with buttermilk in between and mix well. The batter is ready.
- Pour batter into a greased tin with parchment paper. Bake this at 180 degree celsius for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, let’s prepare frosting for the cake. For this, take butter & beat well.
- Sift icing sugar & cocoa powder & mix well.
- Add melted chocolate & warm cream into this & beat the mixture well. Your frosting is now ready. Keep this in fridge for 20 mins.
- Once your cake is ready, take out and let it cool for 10–15 mins.
- For assembly, de-mould the cake from tin & place on a cake stand.
- Cut cake into two from center & keep the other layer aside.
- On the base layer, apply frosting generously throughout. Put the other layer on top, upside down & apply frosting again. Cover the cake throughout with frosting. Decorate as you like.
- Place cake into fridge for a 1–2 hours to let it set to be ready for consumption.
Make sure all your ingredients are at room temp. before you start baking.
For frosting, whisk/beat all items using an electric beater preferably. This will make your frosting smooth in texture which would take a while longer if done using hand whisk.
Chocolate chunks can also be added to the batter for enhance taste at last step before baking.
1/3 cup nutella along with 1/3 cup melted dark chocolate can also be used for frosting to add that hazelnut taste to your cake.