Black Forest Cake
moist layered cake with whipped cream & cherry filling
For base cake:
- 2 cups flour/maida
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs or 1.5 cup curd(for eggless version)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp coffee powder (mixed with 2 tbsp hot water)
For cheery syrup & mixture:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh cherries
- 1 tbsp corn flour
For frosting & decoration:
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate (to make chocolate curls)
- Few cherries
- Firstly, to make the cake base, sift all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt) in a large bowl. Then mix the wet ingredients(sugar, oil, curd/eggs, milk, vanilla essence, coffee) with the dry ones.
- Put this to bake in a pre-heated oven at 180˚C for about 25–30 mins. Once baked, set aside to let it cool.
- Now, using cherries, we will make two things — cherry syrup to spread between layers & a thick cherry mixture to fill in between layers in the cake.
- For cherry syrup, take a pan & add around 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar & 1/2 cup cherries. Bring this to a boil. Then, strain this mixture & your cherry syrup is ready.
- Now, in the same pan, take these boiled cherries, add another fresh 1/2 cup cherries followed by 1/4 cup sugar, 1/3 cup water, corn flour.
- Cook this till it becomes a thick jam sort of mixture & then let it cool.
- Now, for frosting, take whipping cream and beat it till stiff peaks appear.
- For chocolate curls, take a chocolate bar (at room temperature) and using a peeler, peel long strands of chocolate which will be used for decoration.
- Finally, for the assembly part: cut your cake into 2 halves.
- Take the first layer, spread cherry syrup on top. Now, make a round layer on the circumference of the cake on top with whipping cream (using a piping bag). This will make a border around where in between we can fill our cherry mixture. Spread the cherry thick jam mixture in between followed by some whipping cream on top .
- Take the second cake layer & repeat the above step.
- Fill up the cake with whipping cream on sides and top.
- Decorate the cake with whipping cream swirls on top with a piping bag.
- Using hands, put the chocolate curls on sides & in the center of the cake with cherries on top.
- Ensure all wet ingredients for cake are at room temperature.
- Whipping cream needs to be cool while you beat it. If you are using a non-dairy whipping cream, you need not add sugar when you beat; however for a dairy whipping cream, add some sugar and then beat it.
- In case you will to bake an eggless version, use curd instead of eggs with the same recipe.
- Freeze the cake preferably for 4–6 hours before serving.